Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Not Quite at Peace

I couldn’t believe this was happening. The past two weeks were some of the greatest in my life, and here she was now, telling me that it was over? Rhyan was different than the girls I hooked up with in the past. She wasn’t dumb, she wasn’t whiny and clingy, and she wasn’t just in it for the sex. She was better than that, she caused me to feel things that I’ve never felt before. I couldn’t believe that I was standing here now, watching her drive away. It left a sickening knot in the pit of my stomach, and normally in a situation like this I’d break the shit outta something, but this time I couldn’t. What I was feeling wasn’t anger, it was pain. Some of the gang went to California for spring break, Rhyan included, so I didn’t see her at all the following week. I walked around with the look of hatred for the world playing on my face. I went through the motions at work, and even dragged myself to the drag races. The only thing I looked forward to was finding my pillow at night, because as long as I was asleep I didn’t have to feel the ache in my chest. One night I couldn’t sleep, so I decided on the next best pain reliever, drinking. I was pretty wasted by 6 a.m. and finally decided on sleeping. I found Buck’s empty bedroom upstairs, and just as I was about to drift off, I heard a knocking at the door.

“Blair Mathews? Ain’t it a little early for you kid?” I asked. I was surprised to see her, it was unlike her typical reaction towards me. She forced herself into the room and pushed me on to the bed, kissing me. A dozen hazy thoughts flooded my mind, but I went along with it and let her do what she wanted, mostly because I was drunk and horny. The room was dark, but every once in a while the moonlight would peer through the window and catch on her face, and when it did, the only face I could see was Rhyan’s. When we were done, she immediately began putting her clothes back on, and just before she left she turned and said,

“Now we’re even.”

What the fuck? Was this just a payback for saving her from that guy at Shepard’s party the other day? A simple ‘thank-you’ would have sufficed, not that I’m opposed to sex, it was just unusual as a payback, especially from the youngest Mathews sister.

Thursday night was another one of those nights where my eyes just didn’t want to stay closed, but I didn’t feel like going to the bar this time, instead I just laid in bed, soaking in my pity. It was 3 a.m. when the phone rang. I looked at the caller ID. Rhyan? I held my breath.

“Hello?” I said, confused. Maybe she just dialed the wrong number, but her sobbing suggested otherwise.

“Dallas?” I didn’t realize how much I had missed hearing her say my name. “I need you.” That was all she said. A moment later, I found myself knocking on her front door. She answered, with tears streaming down her face.

“I don’t care about Blair…” She said. I wondered how she knew about that? “…and I don’t care if my brother is a moral mess, and I’m so sorry for leaving you like I did. It was the worst mistake I’ve ever made, and I wish I could take it back…” She was rambling and it was sort of hard to understand between sobs, but somehow the last part was very clear to me, “…you’re the best relationship that I’ve ever had, and I really fucked up, and I need you Dallas, I’ve always needed you”. She broke my heart, left me standing in my boxers in her drive way in the middle of the night, and now she was begging for me back? She left me feeling like left overs, like someone’s trash. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t lost some trust in her, but somehow that didn’t matter now, because I think I needed her too. I forced her lips against mine, letting my feeling of the entire week pour out in to that one kiss.

“If you ever pull a stunt like that again, I’ll kill ya, understand?” I said, smiling for the first time all week. Since that night, everything has been great. I fell asleep with her in my arms every night, and awoke to those beautiful brown eyes every morning. I was on top of the world again, and nothing was going to bring me down, or so I thought.

I went with all the guys to the rodeo one day last week, because we all had the day off, which rarely ever happened. Except for Darry, the guy never takes a day off. We returned after dark that night. I rode in the car with Two-Bit and some of the other guys. We pulled up to the Curtis’s drive way, noticing some of the girls standing in the front yard in a panic. I hopped over the front of the car and looked around for Rhyan. I noticed Darry was carrying her. Her hair was in a mess, and her pants were missing. I heard Jelly explain what had happened. Rhyan stood to her feet, looking dazed and confused. The moment she noticed her pants were gone, she burst into tears. Bob Sheldon tried to rape my girlfriend.

“FUCK!” I shouted. I was beyond pissed, I was furious. He was lucky that I wasn’t around, otherwise his blood would be spilling out on the pavement right about now. It’s one thing to mess with someone in the gang, my friends. But to screw with my girl? There was no mercy for that.

“Sheldon’s ass will pay for this.” I said through gritted teeth. And I meant it. Friday night at the rumble, he’s going to wish he had never been born.

I downed a few beer and lit a joint while I walked to the lot where the rumble was gonna be.  There was already a lot of guys there.  I walked straight to Darry and threw the joint on the ground.  “Ready to fuck the up?” I asked the gang.  Everyone smirked and nodded.  I walked over to Rhyan and put my arm around her.  “Be careful” I said and gave her a kiss.  I turned around to look at the socs. The outnumbered us immensely but that didn’t scare me one bit. Bob emerged from the crowd so I walked towards him.

“Hey Rhyan! You’re on the wrong side babe, you’re not white trash!” I fucking glared at him. “It’s too bad the cops showed up before I got what I came for… I coulda shown you a good time baby” he smirked. That was it. I fucking snapped.  I remember jumping on him and his scull hit the ground. He was fighting his way up but it wasn’t working.  Owen was right beside me beating the shit outta Bob.  I think he may have passed out.  I might have kicked him hard after… I wasn’t finished though, I still had a lot of anger built up.  I beat the shit outta more socs.  There were loud cracks and screams but I didn’t care.  When all the sudden they all left.  Us greasers screamed and yelled in excitement and happiness.  I found my girl and wrapped my arms around her a picked her up and kissed her. “Let’s get drunk!” I said. 

“Fuck ya Dally! Owen’s house everyone!” Steve yelled. We all got fucking drunk and everyone was so happy.  There was one point when Jelly and Soda were arguing. I don’t really remember anything but I think Hunter was involved.  It was a good night though and I was so happy, but I didn’t know if knocking out Bob was enough to make it even… I might accidently do something worse if I see him again…

8 comments:

  1. Somehow, I don't think "accidentally" will play a part in a future encounter with Bob...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you and Rhyan just get married and have adorable little babies and live happily ever after now? Kay thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah Woah, Blair. Let's not get ahead of ourselves now.

      Delete
  3. lol. can I assist in said accident?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure. Just as long as you don't get in my way

      Delete
  4. You and I both. I'm down, and let's just say that this wouldn't be my first "accident." Plus, I still have connections.

    Let me know.

    ReplyDelete